Sunday 22 December 2013

Saga of the Brighton Marathon 2013

The following are the series of emails and extracts from my fundraising page that together form "The Saga of the Brighton Marathon!"

23rd January 2013

Original fund raising page message

JR is on the run…

Hi, thanks for visiting my page.  As at 23rd January, I have just had confirmation of my place running in the Brighton Marathon as part of the Arthritis Research UK team.  My running programme since Christmas has just about reached where I was in the autumn when I ran half marathon distance.  Just another 13 miles and 2-3 hours of running still to find!

I appreciate any encouragement you can give and am particularly grateful for any donation to Arthritis Research UK.  I’m aiming to raise £1,000 and every contribution towards this target is an extra incentive for me to keep running!  I’m supporting this charity because I know from experience in my family and amongst friends the importance of on-going research to improve treatment.

Thanks and best wishes – John

28th January 2013

Message to first donations

Thank you very much for the donation which is a big boost towards my fundraising target. 

As well as the fundraising I feel I am well on track towards my running objective – I did 13.5 miles in 2.25 hours on Saturday (thankful for the break in the cold weather).  I should have had a rest day on Sunday but I ended up at the gym and had my “rest day” at work today instead!  Back on the treadmill at the gym tomorrow and next weekend I’m planning on a step up to 16.5 miles.

I just read a worrying tip suggesting that I should limit myself to 2-3 cups of tea/coffee a day – I usually surpass that figure by 9.30am!  There is some advice you just have to ignore!

Thanks again and speak soon... John

2nd February 2013:  blind copy general update….

JR still on the run and ahead of the game…

Hi everyone,

It’s nice to know that at the age of 48.55 years (to be exact) I met a  new physical challenge this morning in running a distance of 16½ miles.  More than that I did it in a time of 2 hours 31 minutes – I’m beginning to think that there’s an outside chance I might break 4 hours for the Marathon.  However, the fact that for the last 2 miles it felt like I was running with a 5kg weight on each leg is a cautionary note that my main aim is still just to complete the 26.2 mile distance with dignity intact!  Before last September I’d never run more than 5 miles (and that more than 30 years ago)  - it goes to show what can be achieved if you put your mind to it!

A story about my mum…

Last Saturday afternoon I was at my mum’s and told her that I’d run 13½ miles that morning and that I was training for the Brighton Marathon.  I emphasised that the Marathon was being held on the day of her birthday – 14th April.  I also told her that I had to get away pretty sharp as I needed to get home for overnight babysitting duty for my two grandchildren.  The next day I was at my mum’s again and she asked me how it had gone.  I said the children had been very good and that apart from one disturbance at about 1.30am (to find a lost teddy) and an early morning “wakeup call” at 6.15am all had gone well.  About 15 minutes later  after I’d done some vacuum cleaning round her flat we resumed our conversation and she asked me how things had gone at Brighton!  I have to say it’s nice to know my mum (bless her!) has such faith in me but somehow when it comes to running in Brighton I don’t think it will be on the back of a half marathon the day before, a night of babysitting and definitely no housework for at least 24 hours afterwards!  (Sorry to anyone disappointed by that announcement).

Many thanks for all who have visited my fundraising page http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JohnReece[please note, my original fundraising site for Arthritis Research UK has been closed and as at December 2013 I have a new site fundraising for The Outward Bound Trust]

I’ve loved reading the messages that have been left and am particularly grateful for the donations to Arthritis Research UK for whom I am running in Brighton.  As of today the donations have reached the level of £200 and I’m still aiming for a total of £1,000 by 14th April.  Spending 2½ hours running gives a lot of time for thinking and a number of the messages keep coming to mind and certainly help me to keep going.

 Hope to catch up with you soon… John

3rd March 2013:  blind copy general update….

JR in fancy dress run rumours…

Hi everyone,

Let me be clear from the start… I am not running the Brighton Marathon in fancy dress!

However, I have to admit that in the last week I have taken to going out on training runs wearing hat and gloves (not scarf)!  Last Saturday (23 February) as I got up and looked out of the window to see snow falling and then saw a weather forecast that referred to sub-zero wind chill, I thought it was fairly ambitious to get out of the front door let alone go on a training run!  However, I had set my aim on extending my running distance having completed 16.7 miles on each of the previous three weekends.

My new extended run adds a 3.7 mile loop at the end of my previous course.  This gives an added mental challenge to the run as at the point that I complete 16 miles, less than a mile from home, I go off at a tangent to run further away!  I figure this must be pretty good mind training in readiness for the last few miles of the marathon.  Anyway, both last week and yesterday I completed the 20.4 miles in just over 3 hours 10 minutes.

I’ve read a few times of the “wall” that marathon runners hit at about 20 miles.  Having run this distance on successive weekends I’m not quite sure if I hit the wall but I definitely found myself hanging on for the last few miles yesterday.  One article I read referred to some people who consider “running through the wall” is better than sex!  My mind boggles in trying to imagine the sort of sexual experience that leads to that assessment… it takes all sorts (see PS note)!

Looking ahead, with six weeks to go before Brighton, I’m looking to do 2-3 more runs of 20 miles and at least one of 23 miles (plus shorter runs in between).  However, the bit of preparation I’m looking forward to is the final two weeks when I ease off on the miles and concentrate on “carb loading” – that sounds much more fun!

Thank you again for the donations received so far.  My fund raising page [ http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JohnReece ] [please note, my original fundraising site for Arthritis Research UK has been closed and as at December 2013 I have a new site fundraising for The Outward Bound Trust] stands at £320 but with cash donations and pledges I've reached £500 - half way to my target figure.  The page has a couple of new photos added.  One of these shows me about to set off on a run with "A Team" vest and my utility belf (as well as water bottles, just like Batman's utility belt, mine contains a "secret weapon" -  my Oyster Card!).  Another photo shows my regular running partner - a recurring blister! As the caption on the photo says... no gain without pain!

All the best...  John
PS  Having been at White Hart Lane today I know one thing for sure… running through the wall is definitely not as good as seeing Gareth Bale score in a 2-1 win for Spurs over Arsenal!!!

16 March 2013: update…

 JR hanging on in…

I suppose, as training runs go, that today’s was a useful experience in giving me every reason to believe I am ready to complete the Brighton Marathon on 14 April.  However there are other lessons to learn…

One thing I’m glad about is that in the days leading up to the Marathon I am not scheduled to be going to any rock concerts and my diet is likely to  involve an absence of alcohol for at least a couple of days before the event (well – no more than very moderate intake!) .  On the other hand, this week has involved two consecutive nights out to see The Stranglers and a certain amount of associated beer consumption! 

Having reached home from the second of my Stranglers nights and crawled into bed at 1am the odds were not looking too good that I would be running by 9.15am.  As I looked out of the window before setting off, I can’t say that the weather was a welcome sight, with lashings of rain falling at a rather worrying angle!  Moreover, in the course of the run I found that, by a strange quirk of nature, whichever direction I was running, I always seemed to be heading straight into the face of the wind! 

This, I had decided, was to be longest of my training runs and by the end it was sheer grim determination that kept me going for the last 3 miles as I reached a distance of 23.35 miles!  My brother’s advice to me for the Marathon has been to, “Run when you can, walk if you have to and crawl if you must.”  I did keep running today (for 4 hours!) but by the end I’d dwindled to a pace that I’m sure, on fresh legs, I might have been able to walk at!  At least I was spared the indignity of anyone who was out on a stroll actually overtaking me!

Having run on ice in January, through snow in February and through sweeping rain in March, I think the only weather I haven’t prepared for is a heat wave!

As ever, many thanks for the donations to the charity I am supporting - Arthritis Research UK

My fundraising page  [ http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JohnReece ] [please note, my original fundraising site for Arthritis Research UK has been closed and as at December 2013 I have a new site fundraising for The Outward Bound Trust]  is now showing £400 plus and I have also been grateful to receive cash donations and pledges which mean, overall, I am pushing towards the £600 mark.  The donations have been a big incentive for me to keep running and on mornings like today I need every motivation that can be mustered!

All the best… John

8 April 2013: update…

Run Reece, run…

Just the other day, I was asked why I had decided to run a marathon.  I had to think for minute but the answer finally came to me, “A bit like Forest Gump, I woke up one day and just felt like running!”

However, for the final two weeks of my training schedule I have to ease back a little, so my last 20 mile session was a couple of weeks ago, through sleet and a minus 3˚C wind chill factor. 

In this final week – just as the weather has started to improve – rather than running I’m having to concentrate more on nutrition and in particular look to do a bit of “carbo-loading” (carbohydrates) to build up the glycogen levels in my muscles.  Having run all my training sessions by myself, suddenly a few people have said they would be quite happy to help me at this stage in my preparation!

My current thinking (let’s see if it lasts the week) is go alcohol free until after I’ve finished the marathon.  I’m not so sure that this will lead to any significant dietary advantage but I’m absolutely sure it gives me an added incentive to get to the finish line!

Many, many thanks to all who have contributed to my chosen charity, Arthritis Research UK

I’ve now received 34 donations adding up to £562 through my fundraising page  [ http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JohnReece ]  [please note, my original fundraising site for Arthritis Research UK has been closed and as at December 2013 I have a new site fundraising for The Outward Bound Trust] and 24 donations through a traditional sponsorship form, adding up to a further £246.   That leaves me less than £200 away from my fundraising target of £1,000. 

I hope very much that I’ll be at the starting line on Sunday having reached the first of my targets and that 4 to 4½ hours later I’ll have reached my second. 

I am so looking forward to sending my next update to say how I got on!

All the best… John

17 April 2013: update…

Did Reece concede to madness at mile 14….?

Did I concede?

Not quite, but I think it was the guys in white coats chasing me from mile 14 onwards that got me over the line!

Things had gone pretty well until the 14 mile point but at that point I faced a big dilemma as the course took a steep right hand turn, heading off into the far distance before looping back to the 18 mile marker literally yards in front of me.  Should I skip across the lane and complete the “next 4 miles” in a matter of seconds? Or should I accept the growing discomfort and pain over a further 40 minutes?  That was a terrible temptation to put before a man who had been running for 2 hours, who had tendon ache in his left foot and who was beginning to feel nauseous from the ingestion of energy gels and fluids!  My virtuous side (what there is left of it) won the argument and on I went, the long way round.  By the time I had legitimately reached mile 18 I really was ready to plead insanity – what else was keeping me going?

By this point the optimistic pace of 9 minute miles that I had kept going throughout the first half of the marathon had dwindled to 10 minute miles and was inexorably heading northwards with each successive step.  I was now entering the stage of the Brighton Marathon that is known as the “Saucony road to hell” – 3 miles that take you to the most westerly part of the course, a power station at Portslade by Sea, approximately 21½ miles into the course.  A few things stick in my mind to confirm the description of this stage of the course – most particularly is the fact that the power station chimney, which can be seen from miles away, seems to remain obstinately distant, no matter how long you feel you have been running towards it!  This with the aforementioned pain and nausea, and the alarming rate at which my legs seemed to be gaining in weight, brought about a genuine feeling of misery for the next 30 or so minutes.

Even the sense of relief at finally reaching the power station was tempered by the fact that, having looped round  to face eastwards, while I could see Brighton pier (which marked the 26 mile point), it was in the far, far distance – I’d not realised that 4½ miles would seem so far.  Things were now getting pretty desperate – my running pace at this point was down to 11m 45s per mile and on this basis I knew that I had at least 50 minutes to go.  I’d had to ditch the ambition of a 4 hour marathon shortly after my mile 14 experience and I now realised that 4 hours fifteen was pretty much out of the question but there was no way I was going to give up on sub 4½ hours without one hell of a fight!

In hindsight it is interesting to have witnessed the conversation that went on in my head over the next 4½ miles – one voice urging and pleading me to stop and the other countering that all I had left to do was a distance that I do week in week out on the treadmill at the gym.  A couple more challenges faced me – the first, at mile 24, was the sight of another runner – a man who looked younger and more of an athlete than me - lying prostrate with four or five first aiders around him.  That was almost the trump card for the voice of doubt in my mind and for a moment I was almost convinced that I was about to keel over myself.  Having had the experience in the distant past of being on the verge of fainting (in all honesty, once or twice I went beyond the verge!) I was mindful to try to focus my mind on something else but that was pretty difficult in the circumstances!  The last fling of the dice for the “voice of doubt” was when I saw that my GPS watch was telling me that I’d completed 25 miles but I could see the official mile marker was still some way ahead (about quarter of a mile).  That might not seem any distance to worry about now, but at the time I felt a tremendous sense of injustice – the goal line had been shifted  (which as a Spurs fan I often find to be the case!).

But suddenly beyond all doubt I was in the last mile – I even raised myself to punch the air as I went past the Arthritis Research UK cheer team who were shouting their encouragement to me.  Even so, the finishing line, just like that chimney at Portslade, was reluctant to seem any less distant and it was only in the last 10 metres that it finally sank in that I was going to finish!

I’m not sure what emotion hit me at first as I crossed the line but I do know that as my mind disengaged from the torture of telling my legs they had to keep running, my legs seemed to respond by saying they were going to stop functioning altogether!  I just about managed a shuffle, dragging my left leg behind me, through the various stages of ‘repatriation’ – collecting my finisher’s medal and tee-shirt, silver sheet, energy drink, banana, crunchy bars and finally collecting my kit bag. 


And what about Lesley - my head coach, chief cheer leader, nutritionist, official photographer (and that’s not the half of it!)?

As it had taken a good half an hour for me to reach our agreed meeting point at the Arthritis Research UK section of the temporary “Beach Village”, I had the feeling she might be getting a tad worried!  As I approached I could see her looking a bit stressed so I called out – she looked right at me but didn’t see me, I called out again, only from about 5 metres now, and she still didn’t see me – I was just about wondering if I was a ghost when at last she recognised me!

It’s amazing but after a couple of bags of crisps, a massage and finally some fish and chips I was ready to contemplate the possibility of maybe another marathon in a year’s time – and that was before I’d even had my first beer!  I was even considering what colour my local post-box might get painted!

I must once more say a big thank you to all who have enabled me to move beyond my initial fundraising target of £1,000.  I hope you take a further look at my web page[ http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JohnReece ]  [please note, my original fundraising site for Arthritis Research UK has been closed and as at December 2013 I have a new site fundraising for The Outward Bound Trust] which has some new photos – courtesy of Lesley!  There are a couple of me running (mile 13 and mile 18), one when I at last reached Lesley and my favourite which I’ve christened, “Brighton is mine”!

Very best wishes - John

PS I feel that at this time some words are necessary in respect of the bombing at the Boston Marathon, the day after Brighton, and also the tragedy of the young man of 23 who collapsed at mile 16 of the Brighton Marathon and subsequently died.  It is with huge sadness that I mark those events and, in respect of the incident at Boston, a mixture of emotions and a resolve that we must continue to work towards a day when such horrors are a thing of the past.

Final fund raising page message….

In January I ran on ice, in February I ran through the snow, in March it was gales and sleet and finally on 14 April 2013 I ran in Brighton!

Having never run a distance of more than 5 miles before September 2012 my original aim for my first marathon was to finish in a time of 4.5 to 5 hours.  In the end I managed it in 4 hours 21 minutes!

I greatly appreciate the huge amount of encouragement I received, particularly the donations that enabled me to raise my fundraising target above the original figure of £1,000 and finally reach a total of £1,430 for my chosen charity, Arthritis Research UK.

Many, many thanks - John





No comments:

Post a Comment